It is important that the government hear from you. This helps them to shape decisions, and to hear from actual citizens.
Why can’t you speak on my behalf?
Great question! We do, but a letter or a call to your MP can have a big impact, especially if it is unique and personal.
Who should I talk to?
Head over to this website https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en
Look up your Local MP by name, or postal code. Then call them. Or email them. You can also write to the Prime Minister and the Minister of Finance.
What should I say?
Here are some talking points:
- We were the first industry to stop and will be the last to come back
- Our employers are not supported enough to be able to hire us any time soon (or you may not even have a single employer!)
- Our jobs require specialized training that is not transferable for a job with equal wages in other industries
What we want:
- Extend CERB until theatres, convention centres, stadiums, arenas and city-sanctioned events are running again
- Keep restrictions and eligibility for CERB as they are. In fact, you can call on them to expand to include more gig economy workers.
- We need the support to get back to what we do in this industry, entertaining Canadians.
REMINDER: A letter can be mailed to an MP without a stamp